Thursday, January 1, 2015

Born on New Year's, Died on the Fourth of July



New Year’s Day is the birthday of two of the 167 American fighting men who died in Vietnam on a Fourth of July.

Marine Lance Corporal Homero Eliud Tijerina, born New Year’s Day in 1946, died on July 4, 1966. He was one of 10 Marines killed in an ambush at My Loc. A native of Edinburg, Texas, he was 20. Corporal Tijerina is one of more than 3,000 Hispanics who died in Vietnam. He is buried at Hillcrest Memorial Park in Edinburg.

Marine PFC Raymond Carson Griffiths, born this day in 1947, also died July 4, 1966, of wounds suffered two days earlier when a booby trap exploded. He was 19. A native of San Francisco, PFC Griffiths' letters are included in the book and movie “Dear America: Letters Home from Vietnam.” In one of his letters he wrote, “I tell you truthfully, I doubt if I'll come out of this alive. In my original squad I'm the only one left unharmed. In my platoon there's only 13 of us. It seems every day another young guy 18 and 19 years old like myself is killed in action. All of us are scared ‘cause we know a lot of us won't make it." He is buried at Golden Gate National Cemetery in San Bruno, California. Read more about him at http://www.lincolnhigh.net/kia_griffiths

No comments:

Post a Comment