Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Steve Conto: 'I will not rest until they are all found and visited'



All across America people honor the memory of those who died in Vietnam in their own special way. One of them is Steve Conto of Menasha, Wisconsin.

In my online search for information about the men who died on the Fourth of July I ran across his name in relation to a soldier from Wisconsin. When I started “pulling the string” to learn more about Mr. Conto I found, much to my amazement, that over a period of more than 12 years he found and recorded the burial locations of all but one of the men from Wisconsin who died in Vietnam. He calls it The Final Bridge.

I contacted Steve and asked for details. Here is his inspiring story in his own words:

“The Final Bridge is a personal legacy project I started in the spring of 2002 to locate the exact burial locations of those individuals from Wisconsin who were killed in the Vietnam War.  I wanted to create a bridge between their names on the wall and their final resting places.  My purpose is to record each site; the section, row and column in order to pinpoint the exact location so that families, comrades and friends can easily find them.  In addition, I’ve created an Excel spreadsheet of all the individuals, listed by the town they enlisted from.  There are 1,243 names on my list.  Only one location is unknown.  I have personally visited 691 burial sites so far.  

“Once at a site I record the location, photograph the site, clean the marker and trim the grass around it.  I place a flag by the site if I’m allowed and render honors.  I go back to various sites from time to time to check on them.  There are times I have really no idea where they may be in a cemetery, but somehow I’m able to find their site.  I’ve written stories about my searches and about stories given to me by family and friends. 

“This has been the most moving experience of my life.  I feel these guys are my big brothers for I was too young for Vietnam.  They were Uncle Miltie’s kids.  America’s best and brightest.  They were sons, brothers, uncles, husbands and fathers.  They were comrades, shipmates and friends.  They were farmers, altar boys, hunters, students, athletes, mechanics, musicians, you name it.  This war was supposed to be just a temporary interruption in their lives, not a permanent one.

“My goal with this special project is to ensure that official burial records are made up-to-date and that communities are made aware of these heroes.  I do not want for them to be forgotten.  They never got the chance to have a full life.  So, this is my stewardship to these guys, for their families, their comrades and their friends.  Out of deep respect and compassion, I continue to carry out my quest.  I accept no assistance for my work.  I consider this an honor.  I will not rest till they are all found and visited.” 



2 comments:

  1. My work goes on. I've surpassed visiting 1000 burial sites and I have found all the locations. I have added more to my list that had a connection to Wisconsin now totally 1249. I look forward to 2016 to focus my efforts on the Milwaukee cemeteries. They shall not be forgotten.

    Steve Conto
    The Final Bridge

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Steve, My name is Dan Edder, I live in Girard, PA and I am very familier with the family of PFC William P. Shaffer, KIA JUne 1967, Vietnam. I would be glad to share information regarding Billy, if you would like to hear it. my email is info@eddderfuneralhome.com

      Delete